
I am a huge period drama fan and it is not without concern that I watch an adaptation of a period drama so well known, so loved as is 'Sense & Sensibility'.However, I was not dissapointed far from it I should say.
'Kandukondain kandukondain' (English title : 'I have found it') is a real gem of Indian cinematography.The director has taken the classic novel of Jane Austen, set it to our times in India and made a masterpiece.The main plot of the story was kept of course.Two sisters, as different as day and night, one full of emotions and the other one full of sense are robbed of their writeful inheritage and the trouble starts.In this adaptation when they are driven out of the safety of their house they do not find refuge among good people but they are thrown into the city and they only have themselves to count on.
Sowmnya (Elinor) played by Tabu is a girl of sense that keeps her feelings to herself and she is though of being unlucky.In this version there is no Lucy Steele trying to Keep the lovers away.Our Bollywood Edward is a wanna be director who will marry only after his first film.Here the two lovers are separated (temporarily of course) by a misunderstanding based on horoscopes!Tabu gives a very nice performance, maybe a little more emotional than the Elinors we are used to.
Aishwarya Rai plays Meenakshi (Marianne) and I am glad to announce that I have finally find my perfect Marianne.She is emotional (of course), romantic, she was a wonderful singing voice (no piano forte in this version) and she is loving and caring with her sister.There is not a segment of histeria in her performance.Aish is simply excellent in this one.She captures the romantic, impulsive nature of Marianne without making me dislike her and without stop showing that she cares about her sister (not like Kate Winlet's Marianne at all)
Colonel Brandon here is named Captain Bala.He is older than Meenakshi and he has a war injury.What I particularly liked in their story is what I came to call the revenge of the Colonel.Meenakshi in this version (in the end of course) not only admits that she has come to love him, but rejects a handsome suitor of hers and runs after the Captain who refuses to believe that such happiness is possible for him!!!Those eyes of Aish in that scene are simply amazing!No need for words at all...
I absolutely recommend this one!Beautiful cinematography, amazing combination of colours, excellent songs, nice performances.The director has a fresh eye and gives new breath to Austen's classic.Bare in mind that this is Bollywood so there will be songs, colours thigs you could never imagine in an Austen novel but it is definately worth a chance.
I'm Elizzybright from LJ. Your blog is great and I will link some entries to our website. I hope I can read your blog sometimes, although it's hard due to the lack of time. Anyway, I'll try to pass ;)
ReplyDeleteThanks for reading my entries!Glad you like them too!
ReplyDeleteI luv the songs in this movie. asihwaraya is really cute. Ajith and Tabu are a cute couple in this movie
ReplyDelete