Skip to main content

Persuasion , a review

The last complete novel that Jane Austen wrote before her death tells the story of Anne Elliot, a sensible, good girl from a good and snobish family that in the age of 19 broke off her engagement with Frederick Wentworth a young man of no fortune or good name and "nothing to recommend him, but himself". She follow the advice of her good friend who acted in the place of her mother and now 9 years later she meets him again. He has made his fortune in the war and now he is quite a catch. She has to persuade him to give her another chance.

One of my most favorite novels written by Jane Austen writen with great talent and sensitivity. The characters are extremelly well written. As in all her novels Jane Austen shows how well she knows her time and she manages to bring to life an area long gone. Yet, you will regognize part of yourself in the novel, your experiences and some of your thought (that goes for the ladies) identify with Anne Elliot. It is what makes Austen a really great writer the fact that she so well knows her times and the amazing talent in bringing to life a world that we never knew and in the same time her stories have something that any person who recognise as part of his/hers very own world.

This is a novel about second chances and how sometimes life gives you another opportunity. It is a novel mainly dedicated to those unfotunate who never where given the chance to correct their mistekes and "have a second bloom" as dear Anne Elliot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tess Of The D'urbervilles

This is the story of Tess, a country girl that when she was 16 years old she was seduced by a man and she ended up loosing her husband and her life for that 'sin'. This sounds a simple story, but Thomas Hardy is an amazingly gifted writer and he manages to turn this melodrama into a real classic.Tess is beautiful and innocente and she remains to the end of the book. Tess' character is based on a contradiction. She is not stupid, on the contrary she is intelligent and she has great insticts, she dislikes Alec d'Urbevilles from the start, and she is quite educated for a poor country girl and as the writer says she could have been a teacher if her father hasn't been informed of his great lineage. However, she sometimes acts like a very silly girl and I do not mean that she let her self be seduced, on the contrary she tried really hard to avoid it, but of the blind affection and devotion to her unworthy husband. I like Tess, although sometimes I wanted to bitch slap her...

The girl with the dragon tatto

This was a highly enjoyable book. I have bought it almost 3 years ago and for some reason I could not bring myself to read it. I have read the first pages got bored and droped it, but I never really leave a book for ever I consider it an unforgivable waste so this summer I picked it up again. And it was a wise choice. Now I cannot wait to read the rest of the trilogy. It has a very interesting plot and a lot of characters. The author creates a complicated story with a lot of aspects but he manages not to leave any loose ends. Salander is a very unlikely and unorthodox heroine even for a modern crime mystery but she manages to keep your interest and she even makes you to like her. In fact I wish there was a little more of her in the book, but I hope that her appearence and role will escalate in the next two books and I do hope that she and Michael -the other hero of the book- the journalist who actually has ethics and morals, will meet again. The book has a lot of complicated charact...

The Legend of Robin Hood (1975)

Since there has been a new Robin Hood film I remembered my love for the legend a took a look in old and favorite Robin Hood films/series. The Legend of Robin Hood was a six part television series. Broadcast in late 1975 it then promptly disappeared for three decades until a petition campaign by Robin Hood fans encouraged its DVD release. During its absence the series became something of a legend in its own right.Filmed most in interior sets, like most of the BBC programs of that era (remember sense and sensibility). The historical content is not totally accurate but then again we are talking about a mini series with aim to entertain and after all Robin Hood is a legend who knows what is real or not.Martin Potter makes a very decent and remarkable Robin Hood not as stanning as Error Flyn but then again this mini series has a very different point of view for the legend of Robin Hood from the 1932 classic film. In this version he is wrongfully outlawed by King Richard himself, who believe...