Since there has been a new Robin Hood film I remembered my love for the legend a took a look in old and favorite Robin Hood films/series. The Legend of Robin Hood was a six part television series. Broadcast in late 1975 it then promptly disappeared for three decades until a petition campaign by Robin Hood fans encouraged its DVD release. During its absence the series became something of a legend in its own right.Filmed most in interior sets, like most of the BBC programs of that era (remember sense and sensibility). The historical content is not totally accurate but then again we are talking about a mini series with aim to entertain and after all Robin Hood is a legend who knows what is real or not.Martin Potter makes a very decent and remarkable Robin Hood not as stanning as Error Flyn but then again this mini series has a very different point of view for the legend of Robin Hood from the 1932 classic film. In this version he is wrongfully outlawed by King Richard himself, who believes Robin deserted him on the brink of departure for the Crusades. Potter is appropriately youthful, aggressive, but with the educated tone of a Saxon Lord. The main plot line involves the scheming Sheriff of Nottingham Guy of Gisborne as they assist Prince John to take the throne from King Richard.
In this mini series you will not find the dashing style of Error Flynn or Richard Greene nor the dark mysticism of other version like the 1991 with Uma therman and it is definately nothing like the beloved extravaganza with Kevin Costner. It is simple and subtle full of quite energy and outstanding performances. Totally worth watching even if you are not a Robin Hood maniac. It is also amazing how well it stands the passing of the time even though you can tell that is an old, low budget production.




It was the series' realism which drew me to it. I had just discovered the medieval period through romance novels at the time, (I was 17) and was instantly enchanted with it. I would love to watch the '75 BBC version again.
ReplyDeleteI love the BBC mini series of that era.They are simple but somehow they have something that seems so authentic.
ReplyDeleteTry this to download:
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4681069/The_Legend_of_Robin_Hood.1975.swesub.xvid.saga
Here I am finally getting around to downloading the series, but there are no seeders. I've added the DVD to my Amazon Wish List. Perhaps, I'll be gifted with it.
ReplyDelete