Skip to main content

Jeune fille by Anne Wiazemsky

Jeune filleJeune fille by Anne Wiazemsky

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


In the spring of 1965 the French director Robert Bresson asked a17 year old girl, Anne Wiazemsky, to be his leading lady in his next movie "Au Hasard Balthasar".
Forty years after her first cinematographic experience Anne is wondering if  he wasever in love with her.
"Jeune Fille" is a book immensely exciting in its amazing simplicity with well portraited characters and a story as interesting as only life can write. It describes the addictive, possesive and controlling relationship between Anne and Bresson and how that changed her life for ever. Those two had a chemistry despite their age difference and they had intense feelings for each other, but it never stoped them from hearting each other at various points. Bresson had a power over Anne and although he was known for treating his actors in a possesive, authoritan way he did go over the edge with her. They were leaving in the same house, with adjoying bedrooms and he tried to control every part of her life in and out of the set and he did try to stop her from developping any king of relatioship with other members of the crew, keeping her a 'prisoner'. Anne felt strongly about Bresson and admired him deeply and strangely enough he was the reason that her sex life started. She took a lover, someone from the crew in a desperate attemp to regain a little control over her life and escape Bresson's control. Bresson grew so possessive over her that on finishing filming Au Hasard Balthasar asked her for the role of Guinivere in "Lancelot du Lac" on condition that she will never film with anyone other than him. Of course this never came to pass but its an excellent example of their relationship.
This is a book about a girl leaving her safe world and middle class family in order to enter the dazzling world of cinema and the adulthood under rather strange but also amazingly interesting circumstances. I remembered how it was when I was her age and I found myself thinking that I was ,at times, like her.

“I have been happy with you”, Anne told him.
“Me, too. Living near you has given me a great deal. . . your youth has made me young. . . Often I was your age. . . You will understand later on . . . later”
And, thus it is later Anne Wiazemsky will write one of the very best books I read this year. A pure wonder, simple but absolute. An excellent piece of literature.



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tess Of The D'urbervilles

This is the story of Tess, a country girl that when she was 16 years old she was seduced by a man and she ended up loosing her husband and her life for that 'sin'. This sounds a simple story, but Thomas Hardy is an amazingly gifted writer and he manages to turn this melodrama into a real classic.Tess is beautiful and innocente and she remains to the end of the book. Tess' character is based on a contradiction. She is not stupid, on the contrary she is intelligent and she has great insticts, she dislikes Alec d'Urbevilles from the start, and she is quite educated for a poor country girl and as the writer says she could have been a teacher if her father hasn't been informed of his great lineage. However, she sometimes acts like a very silly girl and I do not mean that she let her self be seduced, on the contrary she tried really hard to avoid it, but of the blind affection and devotion to her unworthy husband. I like Tess, although sometimes I wanted to bitch slap her...

The girl with the dragon tatto

This was a highly enjoyable book. I have bought it almost 3 years ago and for some reason I could not bring myself to read it. I have read the first pages got bored and droped it, but I never really leave a book for ever I consider it an unforgivable waste so this summer I picked it up again. And it was a wise choice. Now I cannot wait to read the rest of the trilogy. It has a very interesting plot and a lot of characters. The author creates a complicated story with a lot of aspects but he manages not to leave any loose ends. Salander is a very unlikely and unorthodox heroine even for a modern crime mystery but she manages to keep your interest and she even makes you to like her. In fact I wish there was a little more of her in the book, but I hope that her appearence and role will escalate in the next two books and I do hope that she and Michael -the other hero of the book- the journalist who actually has ethics and morals, will meet again. The book has a lot of complicated charact...

The Legend of Robin Hood (1975)

Since there has been a new Robin Hood film I remembered my love for the legend a took a look in old and favorite Robin Hood films/series. The Legend of Robin Hood was a six part television series. Broadcast in late 1975 it then promptly disappeared for three decades until a petition campaign by Robin Hood fans encouraged its DVD release. During its absence the series became something of a legend in its own right.Filmed most in interior sets, like most of the BBC programs of that era (remember sense and sensibility). The historical content is not totally accurate but then again we are talking about a mini series with aim to entertain and after all Robin Hood is a legend who knows what is real or not.Martin Potter makes a very decent and remarkable Robin Hood not as stanning as Error Flyn but then again this mini series has a very different point of view for the legend of Robin Hood from the 1932 classic film. In this version he is wrongfully outlawed by King Richard himself, who believe...